AsteroidThis is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
Asteroid is a free, open-source graphical frontend to CGMiner for Apple Mac computers, whose focus on simplicity is intended to be approachable for new users. Asteroid supports the same devices and features as cgminer, and adds additional features such as crowdsourced scrypt settings, coin address balance monitoring, a pre-populated list of common mining pools, and MobileMiner support for controlling Asteroid from a smartphone.
Precompiled universal binaries for cgminer and its dependencies (libusb, libjansson, and curl) are included. Thus the installation process for end-users is straightforward, involving only downloading and decompressing Asteroid.
Asteroid is written in AppleScriptObjC, a very high-level language capable of producing native Cocoa apps. Being an interpreted language, the source code is included in every copy of Asteroid and is executed directly when the user launches the app.
- quick install, clean UI, with full retina graphics
- monitor from a smartphone via MobileMiner
- pre-configured with settings for the 30 most common BTC/LTC pools
- crowdsourced scrypt settings
- uses the Mac OS X keychain
- temperature monitoring with alerts and automated cool downs
- monitor a coin balance from within the app to watch pool payouts
- hash rate in dock icon, and device stats in dock menu
- in-app feedback
- automatic software updates
- ultra-transparent - uses interpreted and not pre-compiled code
- cgminer on the backend