Bitcoin walletThis is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
Bitcoinwallet is the equivalent of a physical wallet for transactions with Bitcoin. There are different wallets for different platforms.
The main functionsEdit
Bitcoinwallets provide the following functionality:
- storage of Bitcoin addresses and corresponding closed/open keys on users computer in wallet.dat file,
- conduction transactions of obtaining and transferring Bitcoins (BTC), also without connection to internet
- providing information about the balance in BTC at all available addresses, prior transactions, spare keys.
- keypairs for each of your addresses
- transactions done from/to your addresses
- user preferences
- default key
- reserve keys
- a version number
- Key pool
- Since 0.3.21: information about the current best chain, to be able to rescan automatically when restoring from a backup.
It is intended that a wallet file be used on only one installation of Bitcoin at a time. Attempting to clone a wallet file for use on multiple computers will result in "weird behavior"<ref>Multiple instance of bitcoin with the same wallet</ref>.
The format of this file is Berkeley DB. Tools that can manipulate wallet files include pywallet.
For EZ Flash IV convenience system provides three types of Bitcoinwallets: desktop, online and mobile.
Desktop wallets are installed on your computer and provide complete control of the currency and budget safety.
- Bitcoin-Qt (Windows, Mac OS, Linux). High stability, reliability, privacy, resource capacity. Keys export / import is possible, wallet.dat file password encryption, signing messages.
- Armory (Linux, Windows). Functions over Bitcoin-Qt app, expanding its opportunities. Managing several Bitcoinwallet, storing them in offline, protecting from hacker attacks, creating messages and signing them with closed key.
No need to download blocks, easy to install on the tablet/cell phone, third-party resource leads checking operations.
- Multibit (Windows, Mac OS, Linux). App for beginners, Russian language included.
- Electrum (Windows, Mac OS, Android, Linux). Generation of 6 addresses that can be restored through Electrum.
Do not oblige to download all blocks of the Bitcoin network, managing one wallet with any device, regardless of location. Some wallets offer additional services. Wallet privacy is provided by third-party resource. "Online" option is preferred for the first acquaintance with Bitcoin system and short-term storage of small BTC amounts.
Funds are always on hand, which is convenient when paying for goods by scanning the addresses as QR-code, the NFC technology application).
- BitcoinWallet. Autonomy, calculator of currency conversion, address book, balance in BTC or another currency.
- MyceliumWallet. Comfortable backup, sending Bitcoin address by Skype or e-mail, PIN-code protection. Current rate is in Bitcoins and balance is in the necessary currency.
- CoinCorner also has a mobile wallet available for Android, iOS and Windows Phone, giving users the ability to send and receive bitcoins on the move.
There are also applications for mobile devices that provide access to online wallets, for example, Blockchain.
Denarium is Physical Bitcoin coin manufacturer. Denarium produces easy, handy and secure wallets in a coin form. The private key is stored under a security seal without password protection. Denarium also offers a trustless multisignature coins, which eliminates the need to trust the manufacturer.
Ledger Wallet manufactures various hardware wallets.
TREZOR is an isolated hardware environment for offline transaction signing and using a small display you can visually verify the transaction contents.
OpenCoiner is a fast and lightweight open source web based wallet
To ensure safety of Bitcoinwallet the following measures are recommended:
- wallet backup with printing or storing on flash drive in text editor without connection to Internet.
- encryption the wallet with the installation of a strong password.
- prudence when choosing a quality service.