BitnationThis is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
Etymology and terminologyEdit
The founder of Bitnation grew up in a Franco-Swedish family where her father has been stateless for a decade. She later witnessed the unethical and non-sustainable governance during Arab Spring. The incorporation between Blockchain technology and its proof-of-work core product Bitcoin inspired her to extend its products into education and national security, which gradually evolved into the backbone concepts of the modern startup company Bitnation.
In 2014, Bitnation was founded by Susanne Tarkowski Tempelhof.
Its citizens are distributed by the decentralized blockchain technology. Bitnation seeks to provide open-source governance, which includes DIY smart contracts mainly on governance, security and law. The subsidiary services include constitutions, secure ID/Reputation systems, dispute resolutions, security, insurance, marriages, notary service, and birth certifications.
- In 2014, Bitnation began offering digital IDs.
- In late 2014, Bitnation was incorporated into its proof-of-stake counterparty
- In October 2014, Bitnation did the first Blockchain Marriage.
- In October 2014, Bitnation hosted the first Blockchain World Citizenship at World Crypto Network(WCN)
- In April 2015, Bitnation introduced its first land titles and the first birth certificate on the Blockchain.
- In November 2015, Bitnation partnered with Estonia to introduce its digital public notary based on Blockchain technology.
- In February 2016, Bitnation moved their tokens to the Ethereum. It also coded its digital constitution Pangea. It was co-written by Ethereum developer Alex Van de Sande.
- In April 2016, Bitnation partnered with Liberland.
- The core Ethereum developer keeps a good relations with Bitnation.
In 2014, Bitnation was under gained media attention when, just before the launch of the crowdsale, three members of the team left the organization with an open resignation letter. They published their resignation letters on Bitcoin Magazine claiming that their reason for leaving was the fact that Bitnation was not incorporated in a nation state jurisdiction. Tarkowski Tempelhof said that they were not coders nor part of the core team. She doubted that they still put their faith on corporate governance, the traditional mindset on regulations, instead of the Blockchain technology adopted in Bitnation. As Bitnation is an open-source product, Tarkowski Tempelhof made the point that anyone was welcome to fork the project and take it in a different direction.
Position as an early adopter of BlockchainEdit
In 1991, the term "Blockchain" was coined by Stuart Haber and W.Scott Stornetta. In 2009, the first "Blockchain" was created by Satoshi Nakamoto. Bitnation applied the Ethereum technology for its core government services since 2014.
The Pangea Arbitration Token (PAT) is an ERC20 compatible in-app token for the Pangea Jurisdiction. The PAT token is a reward token for accumulating proof-of-reputation tokens. Non-tradable reputation tokens are issued when Citizens create a contract, successfully complete a contract, or resolve a dispute attached to a contract. PAT is algorithmically distributed based on performance, rather than purchasing power, popularity or attention.
- Name: Pangea Arbitration Token
- Symbol: PAT
- Circulating Supply: 42,000,000,000
- Total ICO Supply: 14,280,000,000 (34%)
- Token Sale Start Date: 28 February 2018
In April 2017, Bitnation's BRER program was one of those awarded by the Grand Prix 2017, an annual Netexplo Forum prize co-organized by UNESCO.